Explanations of the (Complete) Summer Playlist

FORYOU

1) Christie Lee [Demo]--Billy Joel

See a previous blog post

2)Brother's Keeper--Firewind

Firewind is all about Gus G., a Greek guitarist who is now touring with Ozzie Osbourne apparently. Anyway, Brother's Keeper is a rockin' song, even if it has been pointed out to me that the guitar part is very similar to The Police's Message In A Bottle.

3)Still Rainin'--Johnny Lang

It was very encouraging to find that I was not the only one who find's it hard to believe this was the work of a teenager, and not that of someone singing the blues for the 30 years with gravel in his voice. Add to that the excellence of the song (not written by Lang) and the superb guitar work (which is Lang's), and we have an excellent track.


clouds, one by one, fill the sky
just like these tears they fill my eyes
well I know by now, she ain't comin' back
I watch my world slowly fade into black

CHORUS
look out my window, it's still rainin'
look out my window, it's still rainin'

well they say that time heals everything
well I know the pain honey that love can bring
it don't get no better with each passing day
every hope I had slowly slippin' away

CHORUS

I thought the morning would rescue me
but the rain kept fallin' so endlessly, endlessly

now sometimes I wonder what will become of me
there ain't much left what I used to be
her love shone on me like the morning light (had to look that one up)
now here I am, alone again tonight

4) In This River--Black Label Society

Zakk Wylde (who was really the guitarist on Crazy Train, not whoever I said in an earlier post. Too many Zac's, get them all confused) is Black Label Society. Such a pretty song, dedicated to his friend who died shortly after the song (album?) was released.

5)Both Sides Of The Story--Phil Collins

Okay, this one is probably filler. Still a great song though, with great lyrics and stories if you look into it.

6)Six-Pack Summer--Phil Vassar

Two Phil's in a row? What? Possibly filler as well, though I like the song, and listened to it often over the break. Uh-Oh. That's my favorite part, just so you know.

7) Whole Lotta Love--Led Zeppelin


If I could have that version of this song on my iPod, I would. Best ever, with Jimmy Page turning the riff upside down, inside out, and then shaking it. The version from How The West Was Won isn't bad either, though.

8)Miracles--Jefferson Starship

Definitely filler, though something about this song inspired me to start the Grateful Dead station on Pandora.com

9)Rhapsody in Blue--Saint Louis Symphony  Five Hours of Relaxing Classical Favorites (Amazon Exclusive)

Very pretty song, reminds me of a couple movies, Honey I Blew Up The Baby, and Ocean's 11. Normally not a huge Gershwin fan, but this is an exception.

10) When the Children Cry--White Lion

Already did this one (Whew!)!! See the earlier post.

11)Hate Me!--Children of Bodom

This one too!!

12)The Game of Love--Santana & Santana featuring Michelle Branch

Again!

13)Electric Feel--MGMT

14)Angels--David Archuleta

I was under the impression that this was a cover, but I'm not sure how to find out who else did it. Anyway, I already covered it.

15)Perfect Day--Clay Aiken

16)Black Velvet--Alannah Myles

17)I Want to Break Free--Queen

18)Warmness on the Soul(Album Version)--Avenged Sevenfold

19)Homeward Bound--Mormon Tabernacle Choir  Love Is Spoken Here

Ah, this song reminds me of nothing so much as my mission. I think both President Ashton, and President Showalter used this song for transfer meetings and zone conferences. So pretty.

20)My Grandfather's Clock--Grandpa Jones

Some styles I listen to for different reasons than others. Some I enjoy the music itself, or the instrumentation. Country I enjoy for the clever lyrics. This song has 'em. Not too mention this is bluegrass, which means incredible display of technique.

21)Summer Breeze (Live)--The Isley Brothers

I have one great rule about cover songs: If you're going to do them, be sure you do them better than the original, or don't bother. On this version the Isley's succeeded in bettering Seals & Crofts. Check it out.

22)Message of Love--Journey

After mentioning previously that the playlist was completely devoid of my favorite bands, I went back and added the first songs that occurred to me of theirs. This was it. Good song, not their best, but a good song I got from The Essential Journey 3.0.

23)Mirror, Mirror--Def Leppard

Again, same thing as with the last song. I got it from Rock of Ages: The Definitive Collection, but that's almost the only difference, except for Leppard gets another track, a much better song.


That's right. I know you thought the last song was it. Guess what? I went ahead and added more songs without posting it. How many do we have now? Look ahead and see . . . . Anyway as I mentioned once, Innocent Man was probably my first album, and this is certainly my favorite love song (most of the time I unconsciously favor break-up songs)

25)Epiphany--Trans-Siberian Orchestra  Night Castle (2 CD)

I'm not going to lie, I have every single album of Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I'm obsessed. Okay, maybe not too bad, but I love love love their music. And they're NOT just a Christmas group. This was from Night Castles (I got such a good deal on Amazon MP3) which is more like a Halloween album if anything. Truth be told, a lot of the reason I listen to them is because I feel bad about listening to so much "musical french fries" (junk food), and this group and the next is, if not a healthy meal, at least a formerly healthy meal saturated in cooking oil.

26)Nessun Dorma--East Village Opera Company  The East Village Opera Company

This is a group that takes opera and puts it in contemporary music styles (not always strictly rock), but even if I subscribe to a philosophy that says "electric guitars make everything sound better" and you disagree, you have to love this song (if you don't know the translation, don't look it up, it totally ruins the song). If you don't know it, go to youtube right now and look it up. I don't care if you find Susan Boyle, or Josh Groban, or whoever singing it, listen and tell me it's not beautiful. I dare you.

27)She Be The One--Enrique Iglesias

Is it just me, or do I have a habit of picking obscure songs from contemporary artists? The most well known song from this album is easily Hero. So why do I pick this one? Dunno. I like the words, like the beat, like the sound, plus I've heard it a few times over the summer.

don't fool yourself
you can't stop it if you try
and it's a bumpy ride
she be the one
she be the drug
she's gonna take you high
take you low
never get enough
she be the one
she be the bomb
watch out here she comes
know you're gonna get some


Another Phil Collins tune :) Okay, this is a song from my birth year, so that means it's gotta be good. Not too mention it's a break-up song. And I heard it like a million times on the radio when I was younger. And Mike Rutherfords guitar is amazing. What a wonderful combination.

listen, you know I love you, but I just can't take this
you know I love you, but I'm playing for keeps
although I need you, I'm not gonna make this
you know I want to, but I'm in too deep

At least that chorus is definitely break-up, this part a little less so:

it seems I've spent too long
only thinking about myself
now I want to spend my life
just caring about somebody else

29)Back Where You Belong--38 Special

Believe it or not, I'm almost done :) Whoever you are reading this, you must have a ton of stamina. This is nearly killing me to write. And I actually care.

I know that love, it don't come easy
took so long, it's been hard to find
so love, you must believe it
ain't gonna let it slip away
I know I was wrong
I want you back where you belong


That music video is one of the funnier ones I've seen.


This is still a great song even if it's from the 90's (past their popularity-not to mention that their lead guitarist had died and been replaced). The music video, well, it's not 80's, and maybe highlights why their time didn't extend past then.


if you could ever change your heart
if you would only change your mind
instead of slamming down the phone girl
for the hundredth time
I got your number on my wall
but I ain't gonna make that call
when divided we stand babe
united we fall
got the time, got a chance, gonna make it
got my hands on your heart, gonna take it
all I know, I can't fight this way

if you could ever change your heart
if you would only change your mind
cuz i'm crazy about you baby
time after time
without you,
one night,
alone
it's like I'm here without you baby
do you have a heart of stone
without you
can't stop the hurt inside
when love and hate collide

I don't wanna fight no more
don't know what we're fighting for
when we treat each other baby
like an act of war
I could tell a million lies
it would come as no surprise
when the truth is like a stranger
hits you right between the eyes
theres a time and a place and a reason
and I know I've got a love to believe in
all I know, got to win this time

Comments

  1. Robbie Williams originally did "Angels"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfTWHbtv_-Y

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment