Fork Fest Part 2

ELEVENTH: ISAAC RUSSELL

Elizabeth: Such a sad song from such a young guy. He sings with an amazing voice, kind of like Peter Breinholt, I guess. It's an exquisitely, extraordinarily sad narrative ballad, I almost got the impression that when he realized what a sad song he'd written, he decided to go for broke and make it as sad as possible, with lines like "there's a million other people that deserve you more than I". A very good example of the "guy and a guitar" singer-songwriter archetype. I sincerely hope this is not an autobiographical jam, a teenage kid shouldn't have tragedies like that in his past.

TWELFTH: PARLOR HAWK

I quite enjoyed this song, Lie to Me, by Parlor Hawk. It's an unabashedly soft and acoustic production with lots of harmonies and very slow tempo. I guess what I really enjoyed was the feeling of barely suppressed angst with lines like "for every truth you tell, there's a lie". The video is labeled new-folk, so I presume they have other jams that are peppier. A quick perusal of their youtube jams didn't reveal anything upbeat, but Lie to Me is decidedly slower and more laborious than the others.

THIRTEENTH: MATT BEN JACKSON

This video, of the song Rollover Schumann is probably one of my favorite videos, it shows the band jamming in a rather cool looking practice space. It's not a studio recording and you can see the guitarist playing almost inaudibly at first, he turns it up a tad later. they have a very nice smooth ensemble sound, dominated by the piano. I can see this song as a slow dance they might play at one of those junior high dances that we were required to attend in seventh grade. Their other youtube videos reveal a variety of styles.

FOURTEENTH: MICHAEL GROSS AND THE STATUETTES

OK, this is quite a good video. Bad Idea. Unfortunately, I don't really know what to say about the song, I found it just kind of meh. They will be playing at Fork Fest. I checked one of their other videos, it also featured the same kind of two guitar arrangement that I kind of disagree with. They're probably really great live.

FIFTEENTH: THE DEVIL WHALE

If This House Falls A rather unique song. It's a tender love song, but it's more than that too. The guy's voice sounds SOOOO good. They've got a great sound in their live videos.

SIXTEENTH: THE ARCHER'S APPLE

Okay, I'm not really sure what the song is called They bang on pots and pans in this song, that's cool. Their myspace indicates that they're primarily a folk band.

SEVENTEENTH: DESERT NOISES

I said that the Vibrant sound was the only band on my CD that featured a rapper, but this song, New Man, has someone apparently rapping or something at the beginning. This song displays uncanny mastery of spouting banalities in a heartfelt manner, kind of like Steve Perry. Unquestionably an excellent band. Lots of funny sounds in this recording too, like banjo at various parts, along with the aforementioned frantic rapping at the beginning. It ends all to soon

EDIT:  Title added by Harrison.

Comments