I'm Running on Empty, But I'm Running Behind

Hopefully you get the song reference above.  Yeah, Jackson Browne.  To be honest, I had to look it up.  Yay Google!  Unfortunately, that song isn't on the playlist I'm working up for this semester.  I don't have it.  So there's absolutely no possibility of that happening.  None.  Nada.  Zilch.

And yes, I am just avoiding what I should be doing with this blog right now.  Namely, catching up.  Yeah, I already have over half of the playlist decided, though I'm considering having everything just be on option, and deciding later.  Might be slightly better that way.  I don't know yet.

So here's the problem.  I've got 18 songs already set on it (and the semester doesn't end until Dec), but only 3 of those songs have recieved a legitimate blog post.  Fortunately the stats say my blog posts of a conglomerate of songs are most popular anyway, e.g. The Summer Playlist, Explanations of the (complete) Summer Playlist.  I don't know why.  Those ones are a pain to write.  Here we go:

Aha--Take On Me (Remastered Album Version)

I found this song when my older brother (surprise, surprise) was trying to perfect a pandora station (I'm none too picky about that myself, except for pruning AC/DC out after a few songs--which is exactly how long I can stand them for) for late 50's and early 60's rock.  Great song, found myself singing the melody to myself more than once.

Soft Cell--Tainted Love

Same story of how I found it as directly above.  Kinda funny song.  Especially with the music video.

The Knack--My Sharona

Classic, classic song.  Can't get away from it.  Music video splices in movie footage.  No I don't know what movie.  Very hypnotic song, very entertaining to see the singer.

Def Leppard--Stand Up

Great song.  Great song.  What more do I have to say?  I think I mentioned my Def Leppard discovery in a previous post.

Chicago--I'm A Man

Again, I've been over Chicago previously.  I include this not just because I like the song, but because somehow in two consecutive shuffles it managed to be the first track.  No idea how it pulled that off, but it caught my attention.

East Village Opera Company--Au Fond du Temple Saint

Hmm, I don't recall telling how I found this group.  I came to own every EVOC album after I went to a show of theirs here in Logan, and was suitably impressed despite their microphones not being on for the first line of the song.  It was Wagner's The Ride as I recall (think Elmer Fudd hunting Bugs Bunny).

The Robert Cray Band--Smoking Gun

My first exposure to this song came in a band.  My brothers' band to be specific.  Well, I guess this was before formal formation as a group I suppose.  Anyway, my crazy older brother I mention so frequently has generated quite a bit of musical equipment, guitars, amps, drums, mics, the whole deal.  So last Thanksgiving Break while we were all home we recorded (on a flip camera) a number of songs.  This was one of them, I hadn't heard it before, so I listened through it a few times on youtube (I was assigned the singer, dunno why, I'm not that great, okay, not great).  Needless to say, I butchered this great song, I've heard it a number of times now, once on the radio I think, several on my iPod.  I'm reasonably sure this song appeared in my iTunes as a consequence of the same brother hooking up his external hard drive to my laptop last summer.  The video of me butchering this song is still up on Facebook.  Yes, you can watch it, if you promise not to kill me.

Charles Tolliver Big Band--With Love

I'm sure I picked this song for a reason, not just because I felt I needed more variety in my playlists.  In case it's not clear this is a jazz song (Smoking Gun is Blues, so the variety is getting there).  Since after listening to the song, I can discern no reason for it's inclusion (which almost certainly indicates it will be cut from the list)  I will explain why I make an effort for variety in my music.  Part of the explanation is here already (remember the musical french fries?).  My freshman year I went through both the beginning and intermediate group guitar classes taught by Mike Christiansen.  One of the major things he taught, aside from various techniques, skills, etc., was that we shouldn't be musical snobs.  We can't (shouldn't) just listen to one type, genre, or sub-genre of music to the exclusion of all others.  I'm sure there was much more of that, but that's what I got out of it.  So, that next summer I made a step away from musical snobbery (and musical french fries) and added some classical music to my collection.  And wow, that was a REALLY BIG step forward, especially since I was already somewhat partial to classical.  At or around the same time however, I also added a number of jazz tunes, mostly in an effort to increase the number of tracks on my iPod (my efforts to avoid musical snobbery forgotten).  Now, I've long had issues with jazz.  Maybe it was frustration with my rare appearances at after school jazz rehearsals in Jr. High, maybe it was that the High School Jazz Band seemed incapable of performing without a rendition of Vehicle (Ides of March), but I didn't like jazz much.  Now I find myself partial to the genre, if not as partial as to the super-genre of pop/rock.  Part of my newfound enjoyment of jazz stems from the realization that jazz itself has numerous sub-genres.  If I don't like one, I'll probably like another.  That and the beginning of the modern music era circa 1915 (I remember hearing/reading that somewhere, I may be wrong) began with jazz as far as I can tell, which means jazz is the forerunner of all contemporary music styles, and possibly that all these styles could be considered simply extensions of jazz (all that is based on my currently rather uninformed opinion's, subject to change as soon as I get my research in).

Lonestar--You Don't Know What Love Is

Yes, more variety.  Country no less.  Don't be surprised (have I mentioned before that's what my radio diet consists almost entirely of these days?), don't be hatin'.  Country ROCKS!  Anyway, as far as I can remember I've always enjoyed a little country (and someday I'll actually make an effort to remember and purchase all those excellent country standards I'm hearing on the radio these days).

You don't know what love is if you think that I can fight this feeling


Glenn Miller--In The Mood

Now this is a true jazz standard.  Mmm, Glen Miller of course is a big enough jazz star that I've even heard of him, even if I'm not going to make the effort right now to do the research and say a little.  It's enough that I really enjoy the song.  At least that's what I think :)

The Beatles--Within You Without You

There are times (admittedly most of the time) when I forget that I've got Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on iTunes.  It gets lost in having every single track on Beatles 1 being mislabeled (which is of course, my fault).  Umm, yeah, great song, it reminds me of Derek Trucks on Already Free (though Trucks hadn't even been conceived at this point I'm pretty sure).  Nice ethereal middle eastern, maybe Indian sound.

Steve Perry--Foolish Heart

It was only a matter of time before a Steve solo number made it's way to the fore here (not like I haven't spent my share of time talking about him), and it's only appropriate that it be this one.  I found both of Steve's solo albums (not counting the greatest hits, which practically serves as another one, despite its compilation status) at the Orem DI, along with another little known album (Long Distance Voyager by the Moody Blues).

I need a love that grows
I don't want it unless I know
that each passing hour
someone, somehow
will be there
ready to share


I need a love that's strong
I'm so tired of being alone
but will my lonely heart 
play the part
of the fool again
before I begin


CHORUS
foolish heart, hear me callin'
stop before, you start fallin'
foolish heart, heed my warning
you've been wrong before
don't be wrong anymore


feelin' that feeling again
I'm playing a game I can't win
love's knockin' on the door
on my heart once more
think I'll let her in
before I begin


CHORUS


Brooks & Dunn--Brand New Man

CHORUS
I saw the light
I've been baptized
by the fire in your touch
and the flame in your eyes
I'm born to love again
I'm a brand new man


well the whole town's talkin'
'bout the line I'm walkin'
that leads right to your door
oh, how I used to roam
I was a rollin' stone


I used to have a wild side
they say a country mile wide
I'd burn those beer joints down
that's all changed now
you turned my life around


CHORUS


I used to love 'em and leave 'em
oh, I'd brag about my freedom
how no one could tie me down
then I met you
now my heart beats true
baby you and me together
feels more like forever
than anything I've ever known
we're on the track
I ain't lookin' back


CHORUS


This is a song I heard repeatedly over the summer on my iPod, and it's grown on me quite a bit.  Yeah, I think the lyrics are clever.  Number one point for country songs, as far as I'm concerned

Lonestar--My Front Porch Looking In

In essence, this is a song about someone who's satisfied with life as it is.  I think (surprisingly) that that resonates a little bit in me.  Not that it couldn't be better, but I'm pretty happy as is.

Well that's going to have to be it for now.  The name has changed, but the game hasn't, and that's mostly music, most of the time.  More songs and whatever else to come . . . when it gets written, as always.

Comments