some computers have hidden speakers

I learned that some computers have hidden speakers the hard way. On BYU's campus in Provo, the library is called the Harold B. Lee Library. In the bottom level of the HBLL's basement, there is a room called the family history research center, which is free for the public to use. Because of its out of the way location, I don't think they often have problems with random people going down there to surf the web, but upon occasion, I have been known to do just that. One time I brought my headphones with me, plugged them in and cranked the Hendrix while I was surfing the web. Unfortunately, I made a grave error and did not plug the headphones all the way in. I didn't realize my mistake because the music played normally. Up until this experience, I didn't know that some computers have built in speakers. The weird thing about this is that I actually got through several songs before anyone approached me and asked me to turn it down. I removed the headphones and to my chagrin! realized that the music was blasting from the computer, not from my headphones as I had supposed.

I have wondered why the only computers I have ever known to have built in speakers were in that library. Weird.

Today's Pandora playlist consists of mainstream rock with an emphasis on the eighties. Well, make that mainstream rock from the late seventies/early eighties and schmaltzy pop from the late eighties. A couple of blues numbers managed to find their way onto this list as well.

(I Just) Died In Your Arms by Cutting Crew
Africa by Toto
Alone by Heart
Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked Eyes
Another One Bites The Dust by Queen
Blues At Sunrise by Albert King
Can't Fight This Feeling by REO Speedwagon
Don't Stop Believin' by Journey
Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Aerosmith
Down Under by Men At Work
Drive by The Cars
Edge Of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks
Free Fallin' by Tom Petty
Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac
Here Comes The Rain Again by Eurythmics
Here Without You (Live) by 3 Doors Down
Higher by Creed
I Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Aerosmith
I Ran (So Far Away) (Radio Edit) by A Flock Of Seagulls
Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
Keep On Loving You by REO Speedwagon
Let Me Go by 3 Doors Down
Lips Of An Angel by Hinder
Material Girl by Madonna
More Than A Feeling by Boston
Oh Sherrie by Steve Perry
Open Arms by Journey
Same Old Thing (Live) by Albert Collins And The Icebreakers
Shake For Me by Joe Louis Walker
Somewhere I Belong by Linkin Park
Sunglasses At Night by Corey Hart
Take My Breath Away by Berlin
Take On Me (Extended Version) by A-Ha
The Sky Is Crying (Live) by Stevie Ray Vaughan
Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper
Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
We Will Rock You by Queen
What's My Age Again by Blink 182
When I Come Around by Green Day
White Wedding by Billy Idol

Well, there you go indeed. REO Speedwagon seems to be the greatest of all eighties rock bands. I particularly enjoyed the Hinder song, I don't think I had heard it before.

Comments