Demise Of Computers

A computer met it's demise. It was my mom's computer.

My mom decided to change her internet provider from Qwest to Digis. She can save quite a bit of money that way. Now, when the guy came to set up the Digis internet, it seemed like everything was going to work out okay. Not Quite! The usb ports in the front of the computer's case stopped working in a rather dramatic fashion. Anything plugged into those usb ports would immediately freeze the computer. I unplugged the usb ports, but didn't remove them, because they are attached to the case so I didn't bother. I suggested that we should get a PCI card with USB ports on it as a replacement. However, I was completely wrong.

When I attached the PCI card I thought it was supposed to be a plug and play device. In fact, that's what it said right on the box. Well, when I thought I had asked somebody if they had tested the new USB ports, but apparently nobody did until weeks later when I plugged something in and it didn't work. I should have tested them myself.

My USB drive lit up normally when I plugged it in, but there was no indication on the computer that anything was connected. I decided it must be a software problem. I went to the website to look at the manual. At this point, I should have read the entire manual before doing anything else, but I still haven't because I screwed the whole thing up and it would be pointless to read it now. Or I just don't feel like it, because the computer is doomed to boot to BSD every time anyone turns it on now.

See, the manual said something about installing a driver. Of course, I had assumed that installing a driver would be unnecessary since the box said plug and play, so I downloaded the driver and ran the install program. I mistakenly assumed the install program would be harmless enough, so when it seemed to have no effect, I ran it again, thinking maybe it would give me more information on what had gone wrong. Instead, it led to a BSD. And then, the next time my Mom tried to turn the computer on, all she got was a BSD. So I remove the card, but the BSD still pops up instead of starting windows. It is very terrible indeed.

Here is another list of jams from Pandora. This list is a little shorter than some of the others. It is also quite unfocused. The emphasis is on 90s dance hits, but a large number of genres are represented.

Blood On My Hands by Demons & Wizards
Bust A Move by Young MC
Bustin' Out by Rick James
Feels So Real (Won't Let Go) by Patrice Rushen
Get It On by The Whispers
Get Ready For This by 2 Unlimited
Get Up (Before The Night Is Over) by Technotronic & Ya Kid K
Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) by C+C Music Factory
Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright
Heatwave by Starr, Tom & The Galaxies
Hell Child by Lynch Mob
Husky Team by The Saints
I'm Yours by Jason Mraz
Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
Introduction (Instrumental) (Live) by Albert Collins
Miserlou by The Looney Tunes
Misirlou by The Beach Boys
Morceaux De Salon, For Piano, Op. 10: Melodie In E Minor by Sergey Rachmaninov
Over The Rainbow / What A Wonderful World by Israel 'IZ' Kamakawiwo'ole
Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry
Pump Up The Jam by Technotronic
Pump Up The Jam (The Sequel) by Technotronic
Rhythm Is A Dancer by Snap!
Rhythm Is A Dancer (12' Mix) by Snap!
Shining Star by Earth, Wind & Fire
Shut The Funk Up by Bar-Kays
Standing in the Shadows by Dokken
Terror Train by Demons & Wizards
The Drift by The Mermen
What Is Love by Haddaway

The Kamakawiwo'ole jam was actually featured by Alex Davis on Facebook recently. The Haddaway jam is incredibly awesome as well. Thank you very much brave readers.

Comments