John Waite--Missing You

Whether consciously or not, the past few songs are part of the two true playlists I've created, both of which served effectively as soundtracks to my last couple semesters. Actually, they are both the opening tracks to those playlists, All I Need is a Miracle to last semester's list, BESTOFTHEREST, and Bad Medicine to the previous semester's YOUKNOW. Whether or not they're also the top two song's played because of that or not, this song is the number four most played track, and part of Fall '09's YOUKNOW.

I owe my discovery of this song to an infomercial. Yes, last summer we were watching TV as a family (when does that ever happen?) when an infomercial, starring none other than Kevin Cronin (of REO Speedwagon), comes on advertising the once-in-a-life-time opportunity to buy a compilation of songs called The Ultimate Rock Ballads Collection (and of course if you order in the next thirty minutes you get an additional disc free of charge). Naturally I was sold immediately, and to my surprise (though less immediately) so was my mom--who ordered the album.

Anyway, Missing You is easily the highlight of John Waite's career (he's recorded several versions of it, including one with Alison Krauss), a career that included successful stints with The Babys, and Bad English (both of which also had tracks make the same compilation. Put it this way, John Waite is one of the most successful singers you've never heard of). Interestingly on the disc the song is immediately preceded by the song it knocked off the top of the charts, Tina Turner's What's Love Got To Do With It (she later did a cover of the song). John Waite's recording is impeccable, and timeless as far as I'm concerned. Brooks & Dunn also did a cover of the song. See the music video, I don't like the version for it as much, but it's really funny, especially when he hits the line, "You don't know how desperate I've become . . ." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjAPQJWIz6Y

Missing You

Comments