Queen--I Want to Break Free

I mentioned in a previous post that me and Queen have had some relationship problems. First off, if you're Queen, how do you create a greatest hits album without Bohemian Rhapsody (I assume they changed record labels at some point. It's the only explanation I can consider for it, though I haven't looked into it.) See the track list for Greatest Hits [Hollywood]:

1.We Will Rock You (Obviously cannot be left off)
2.We Are the Champions (Ditto)
3.Another One Bites the Dust (another gimme)
4.Killer Queen (good song, not necessarily necessary feel)
5.Somebody to Love (Probably necessary)
6.Fat Bottomed Girls (Probably my favorite Queen song when I was fifteen, before I learned the words)
7.Bicycle Race (Has to be there)
8.You're My Best Friend (Almost certainly should make it)
9.Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Probably should be here)
10.Now I'm Here (Probably could be left off)
11.Play the Game (Ditto)
12.Seven Seas of Rhye (Certainly should be here)
13.Body Language (Could be left off)
14.Save Me (Ditto. I don't even remember this song)
15.Don't Stop Me Now (Deserves its spot)
16.Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy (Could be left off)
17.I Want to Break Free (Enchanting song. Definitely needs to be here)

Granted, I did say most of these were good choices, but I think room could have been made for Bohemian Rhapsody very easily. Now consider the tracks for Classic Queen:

1.A Kind of Magic (Good song, probably would make the 2nd disc of a 2-disc compilation)
2.Bohemian Rhapsody (Definitely a 1st disc song)
3.Under Pressure (Should make 1st disc as well)
4.Hammer to Fall (2nd disc)
5.Stone Cold Crazy (probably shouldn't make it)
6.One Year of Love (unmemorable)
7.Radio Ga Ga (2nd disc)
8.I'm Going Slightly Mad (unworthy)
9.I Want It All (Filler on 2nd disc)
10.Tie Your Mother Down (2nd disc)
11.The Miracle (iTunes says I've heard it once. Whatever)
12.These Are the Days of Our Lives (Umm, I'm very prejudiced against this whole disc, well, almost)
13.One Vision (I think this could probably be 1st disc, but it's debatable)
14.Keep Yourself Alive (No comment)
15.Headlong (When I was on my trip last summer to California--okay it was a failed expedition to make money installing security systems--I listened to this song. Not crazy about it)
16.Who Wants to Live Forever
17.The Show Must Go On

Okay, I just stopped commenting on the song's I've never gotten into at the end. It seems to me(this is the point) that the overwhelming majority of good songs made it to Hollywood. If someone (like me) wants a compilation with Bohemian Rhapsody on it, they must settle for a bunch of really mediocre songs.

This wasn't supposed to be a rant about Queen compilations, though it is inevitable seeing as this is my first post about Queen. Sorry.

The interesting thing about Queen, is they serve as a sort of gateway into the wide magical world of rock. Most people like Queen, it's usually one of their first groups (as far as I can tell. It may not be true for you, but for those I've talked to . . . . Pink Floyd seems to fill this need as well). Anyway, all this is basically a really long boring way I've saying, "I love the Queen song 'I Want To Break Free' (but I wish Queen had better compilations) and it's made the summer playlist."

And now for something entirely different. I have a Lou Gramm post that has been completely abandoned (for now). Why? Because I "discovered" that song ('Midnight Blue') nearly a year ago (though it doesn't seem like it), and I've found that this blog does what I want better when I'm discussing a song that I've discovered (in this case rediscovered) recently. And that's the point. I used to listen (and sing along to) this song all the time when I was younger. And today while I was working I heard it again. That's kinda the point really.

I was planning on slipping the music video in here, but no. Sorry all. Please don't look for it.

I Want To Break Free
Works
I Want To Break Free

Comments

  1. I love Killer Queen and Now I'm Here. They both definitely should be on a greatest hits album.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment