Your Eyes Don't Lie--David Archuleta

Your Eyes Don't Lie--David Archuleta

What song has a slide guitar part, whistling, and a killer singer? Probably quite a few, but probably only the one from David Archuleta (I think his fans call him Archie, funny huh? Am I distancing myself from his fans saying that? Dunno, if anything I'm jealous of him. If I could sing that way . . .). Anyway, this track has a number of things going for it. The slide guitar and whistling I've already mentioned, but it also has a groovin', hypnotic bass. Is that a dobro I hear too? Steel guitar? Or am I being dumb and it's all just acoustic (I'm sure about the slide? Harmony and back up vocals? Check (okay, he's clearly doing is own, but still). Clever, fascinating lyrics, and dominant melody, oh yeah.

i saw you yesterday
it's been awhile
you tried but failed
at holding back your smile
right then
it's not over yet
i knew, for you
i couldn't sleep
I thought of nothing else
I needed help
everyone was telling me
you were moving on with someone else
but what we had was so special
people can be jealous, oh
I had to see it for myself

CHORUS

I can see it in your eyes
you feel the same about us as I
there is no way the truth can be disguised
you're still in love with me
were never really out of love with me
your eyes don't lie

I know I hurt you
I know you're hurtin' still
but i make it up to you
yeah, baby I will
'cuz what we have is so special
you know we can't give it up
now that i'm looking at you (i can see)

CHORUS

I can see it your eyes (your eyes)
you feel the same about us as I (ah)
there is no way the truth can be disguised ( there is no way x2)
you're still in love with me
were never really out of love with me
your eyes don't lie (and they never will girl)

oh, now that i know
we were apart
but your heart never let go
so thank you for showing me
what used to be (had to look that line up)
and still is a possibility

CHORUS

I think a major strength of this song is that it doesn't really sound much like what I expect from Archie (stifles laugh. See Also: Angels), while still being totally David Archuleta. If you look it up on youtube go with an album version first, the live ones I tried didn't seem to catch much of the instrumentation, though one did clear up the question of steel guitar vs. dobro vs. acoustic (it was acoustic).

EDIT:  He's got a new album coming out:  The Other Side of Down

Comments