Promises part 1: LeBron

So, with my huge post out of the way, I can now move on to greener pastures--er stop avoiding posting and get some stuff up here on a fairly regularly basis.  So, I mentioned that I have a couple of posts in me, that I probably should have written last week.  This is going to be me keeping my promise.

LeBron James.  The biggest name in basketball right now, and not without reason.  If you've seen the guy play, you know that he's pretty amazing.  However, since I returned from my mission and have seen him play I've never really been able to like the guy as a player.  Admittedly, my views are heavily influenced by Charley Rosen at FoxSports.

I don't like watching his team play (at least not the Cavs, I haven't seen him with the Heat yet) because instead of playing as a team, Lebron has the ball the whole time, until he shoots or drives or passes or whatever.  Boring.  No real team concept, ball movement, whatever.  Just King James (you are free to disagree with me.  It's my blog my opinion).  As I mentioned I know the guys really talented.  I think with his size and skill he should probably play power forward, and my respect for him would skyrocket.  Unfortunately, that respect has been historically low, and went down a lot over the summer.

I already knew I'd dislike him much more for leaving the Caves, especially if he went to the Knicks (I still don't understand why anyone ever thought that was a possibility.  When was the last time the Knicks were good?).  The reality was much worse.  How many professional athletes have ever done a one hour TV program to announce what team they're joining?  Just one.  LeBron James.  I feel sorry for the guy.  I do.  He's been absolutely showered in near universal praise in the national media since before he graduated high school.  It's almost inevitable that he'd get a little bigheaded.  The fact that he's mostly lived up to the hype spurs more on.  But as far as I'm concerned The Decision (as his ESPN special was called) was the most egotistical thing I've ever heard of (I'm egotistical too.  I just don't get it validated nearly as much.  Fortunately).

It's been building up for years.  Walking off the court after losing a playoff series without shaking his opponents' hands.  Suppressing a video of being dunked over (and as has been said.  Big deal.  You got dunked on.  Get over it).  The Decision.

Last but not least comes last weeks comment that the backlash over The Decision was rooted in racism.  It's been said before, but it's my turn now.  It's not about race.  The Decision was a bad one, a really bad PR move.  The backlash would have been worse for a white man (partially because there aren't any white men in the league with you level of skills, your majesty).

Comments