Entertainment

So, I realize that it has been some time since I've done a post here.  Oh, well.  I've been busy.  A self-imposed busy that I've enjoyed.  But now I've had a great time relaxing over Thanksgiving Break.  So, now an update about what I've been up to entertainment wise, which in case you haven't noticed, is basically what I live for.

Currently I'm watching The Ultimate Gift, which I've been told involves no money, no one dies, and no one gets kissed.  I'm pretty sure those are all lies.  It's intriguing enough that I'll probably actually sit through the whole thing sometime.

Just previously I finished The Last Lecture, which was an absolutely fascinating read.  Really, what kind of things would someone who's dying do with their life?  What would they want to leave behind?

I've also read Towers of Midnight over the break (finally).  In many ways, a principle measure of entertainment is the ability to evoke emotion.  As I recall, it was rather evocative, though I'm slightly removed from it now, as it's been a few days.

I've also begun the latest installment of the Ranger's Apprentice series, Halt's Peril.  For whatever reason, I haven't yet been compelled to finish it yet.  Ranger's Apprentice is a great Young Adult fantasy I've been reading for a while.

I've been reading Gulliver's Travels as well, in anticipation of the Jack Black movie.  So far its very dense, old language.  Since its split in four parts, and based on the trailer, I suspect that the movie will only cover the first part.  Not like the old movie I vaguely recall seeing bits of.

I also watched Star Trek 6:  The Undiscovered Country, which I've been wanting to revisit for a while now.  I'm not that familiar with Shakespeare,  but for the most part I assumed a number of the lines were Shakespeare references, except for the final one, which I well recognize as a Peter Pan reference.  Peter Pan is one of my hero's.  Who wants to grow up?  Toys 'R' Us knows this very well.

That same night I went on a binge, following Star Trek with both installments of Agent Cody Banks, in reverse order, mostly because I recently heard Edwin Starr's rendition of "War," and wanted to compare it to the version at the close of Agent Cody Banks 2:  Destination London.  Well, that song has a lot of promise, but neither of those versions really speak to me.  I found the sequel much funnier than the original.

I've also read I Shall Wear Midnight, the most recent Terry Pratchett.  I can affirm my belief that Pratchett remains the funniest living author, as well as possibly my favorite (Brandon Sanderson is getting up there, and Rick Riordan shows a lot of promise as well).  It's remarkable how well he can still write despite the onset of Alzheimer's a few years ago.

Hmm, I should mention music.  Well, my most recently played songs include Aerosmith's  I Don't Want to Miss A Thing, which is a great song, but I believe would be better done by another band, or possible just another singer.  I'm sorry, but Aerosmith is a 70's Hard Rock Band.  They really can't pull off the whole 90's sappy love song thing, at least in my opinion.

I also looked up a song from one of my favorite movies, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers:  The Movie.  This particular one is Dan Hartman's version of Free Ride.  It's not a bad version all and all, except for the ending, which is terrible, once again in my opinion.

Two separate versions of God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood, one live, one the studio recording.  They both naturally have their flaws and strengths.  My main issue with the Studio Version is that Greenwood uses way too much fake vibrato.  At the same time, the arrangement is stronger, resulting in a much stronger overall recording.  The live one is live, which counts for a lot, but for reasons I can't articulate right now it's the weaker one.

There are also a number of Moody Blues songs on the list, from the Long Distance Voyager album, which I find appropriate, as I was writing about the sixth Star Trek movie earlier.  By way of explanation, the Moody Blues' 1980 album was named Long Distance Voyager in celebration of the original Star Trek Motion Picture.

Next up is Higher Ground, of which I have been listening to both the Stevie Wonder original version, and the Red Hot Chili Pepper's cover.  Here I'm partial to the cover version, except for the ending.  There's something about those tracks I picked from the Power Rangers Movie and terrible ending's.  I've also been listening to Stevie Wonder's Superstition.  Great song, very popular in movie's.

Smooth, by Santana featuring Rob Thomas is another song I've listened to over and over again.  Wow, just hypnotizing, especially the way Rob just kinda speaks the lines, the melody is just that natural.  If I recall correctly, that song was the most played of the 90's.

Today I watched Hoosiers.  Classic 1986 film.  I've also seen Lean On Me, great Morgan Freeman film.  I also rewatched No Deposit, No Return a classic Disney Film.  I have a thing for old movie's if you can't tell.  They're great.  Just great.

Until next time, however long that may be.

Comments