Friends Stick Together

Are any of you familiar with Kenneth Cope? Kenneth Cope is a LDS musician whose music is frequently featured on EFY CD's. And by frequently I mean his music has been on the CD's as long as there has been EFY. Well, I have mixed feelings about Kenneth Cope. On the one hand, I've heard some of his older stuff, from the 80's where he plays and sings and writes and arranges music with a lot of attitude and style. But, something magically happened in the 90's. He lost all that. He's still consistently on the EFY CD's, even to today, but he lots all that for whatever reason. I would like to link you to the song, but youtube has failed me. It's not on there.

The real reason for this post, after a long hiatus, is that a few weeks ago I was texting my friend Jesse, teasing him. Stuff that in my communication class we might call 'high-context'. Teasing him about me keeping him up all night, about the girls that are constantly going after him. You'd have to know us to understand. High-context like I said. So, this is for him, and for all the other best friends I've had and will yet have.

So, here is my friends playlist:

Friends Stick Together--Kenneth Cope
Friends--Elton John
Friends--Led Zeppelin
Friends Will Be Friends--Queen
Death And All His Friends--Coldplay
My Best Friend's Girl--The Cars
Old Friends/Bookends--Simon & Garfunkel
To Find a Friend--Tom Petty
We're Going To Be Friends--Jack Johnson
Why Can't We Be Friends--War
With A Little Help From My Friends--The Beatles
You're My Best Friend--Queen
You've Got A Friend--Carole King
You've Got A Friend--James Taylor
You've Got A Friend In Me--Randy Newman

And that constitutes the magical, marvelous, likely brief return of my blog!

Comments

  1. Your post left me craving more information. Information about Kenneth Cope on the interwebz is apparently sparse, but a quick listen to some of his few songs on youtube makes it very clear why they would want him on the EFY CDs. It's his voice. His voice has a very special quality, earnest and wise, like a very very low key Bono, except not influenced by Bono at all, if that makes sense.

    His very skillful yet sparse arrangements seem calculated to complement his brilliant voice, but I'm curious about what he did differently in his earlier works. Is "Never A Better Hero" one of his earlier songs? It seems significantly more urgent than the others, and there are some eighties synth sounds evident.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment