Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, also the Mighty Ducks, and my rap experience

So, as a general rule, I don't listen to rap or hip-hop. Nothing against them, it's just not my style. It could be argued that I don't have much style, but that's another discussion entirely.

Anyway, just the other day, yesterday in fact, I was watching that great movie of 1992 The Mighty Ducks starring Emilio Estevez. You know the movie I'm talking about, former Pee-Wee Hockey Star Gordon Bombay is now a hotshot lawyer who hates hockey. After an unfortunate DUI (his 12th moving violation in three years--strange detail to remember huh?) he is compelled by his boss and the State of Minnesota to coach a Pee-Wee hockey team as community service. Long story short, he learns to have fun and enjoy hockey again, along the way coaching his team to the Pee-Wee State Championship, beating his former team and coach in the process.

The point is right after Coach Bombay starts putting himself into coaching, he convinces his boss to donate 1500$ to the team for equipment. During the ensuing shopping spree can you guess what song is playing? Thats right!! You guess it. Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch's 1991 classic Good Vibrations. Sweet song. Well, can you call rap a song? I usually don't. They seem distinct to me. Supposedly Mark Wahlberg (yeah him, he's Marky Mark) is rapping throughout the thing, but the best part is the lady singing, "Good Vibrations". The only line of Mark's I can hold onto is, "Can you feel it baby? Yeah, me too."

Well, all this is great, but the true question you should all be asking is, "If he doesn't listen to rap, how on earth  did he recognize the song?" Great question, I'm glad you asked. My brother played this on his New Years Eve Youtube Playlist or something. Well, not really a playlist. He was attempting to go through Hip-Hop a decade at a time or something. Another song he had on it was whatever MC Hammer stole that part from for  U Can't Touch This. Another rap song I know and listen to, what a thought, I also have Vanilla Ice's Ice, Ice Baby. So, yes, my entire rap experience is based from early 90s stuff apparently. Except for in We Are the World 25 for Haiti that sequence is pretty good too.

As I final note, do you italicize songs or put them in quotes? I've been italicizing here, and I think it works, but well, let me know if you know.

Comments