Serenity: Those Left Behind


So, assuming the general content of what I write about is incredibly specialized nerdy stuff, I'm assuming my audience is about the same. So when I say Firefly I assume you know I'm talking about Joss Whedon's (I've mentioned Whedon before. Remember Astonishing X-Men? Yeah, that was him) cult T.V. hit that ran for a less than a season, then somehow managed to spawn a major motion picture. I watched the show, oh last summer I guess, and greatly enjoyed it. And as much as I loved the show, the movie was way better. I mean Serenity, what the movie was called, was just gorgeous great. Part of it I'm sure is that movies just get a bigger budget, because the visual effects were just astounding in that movie. Seriously, they were great.

Now I'm going to go off for a bit about how I feel that TV is actually the superior medium. I didn't plan this. But I've been thinking in this vein for a while, and this seems to be the place and time for it. Now, I love movies, I really do. I grew up on a lot more movies than TV, though I watched my fair share of TV. But I think with the advances in computer technology, and the surge of CGI into special effects, that movies have become a much more visual medium now than they have in the past. Now, obviously movies have always been a visual medium, but in the past, before all this CGI, HD, and 3D, there was also a very strong storytelling element. There had to be, because the visuals alone weren't enough to keep audiences engaged. Now that has changed. The storytelling element is still there obviously, but it isn't as strong as it was in the past, because now audiences can be overwhelmed with the simply amazing visuals our technology can create now, that was impossible in the past. I'm not sure it's good for the medium. TV on the other hand, doesn't have the high budget for those visuals that movies do, so the storytelling has to remain relatively strong, which explains why TV has increasingly become my preferred medium between the two recently.

I promise, I wasn't actually planning on going that way, it just happened. My actual plan was to rave about how great the graphic novel Serenity: Those Left Behind was. Seriously. It wasn't too bad. I think the comic could have sucked entirely, and I still would have liked it, just because of the foreword or whatever written by Nathan Fillion. For those who don't know, Nathan Fillion played Malcom Reynolds in Firefly and Serenity, the captain of the ship. He also plays Richard Castle on Castle, another show I really like. Anyway, Those Left Behind was basically the filler explanation for what came between then end of the show, and what happens in the movie. It wasn't bad either.

Like how I can write about something, and not actually manage to write about it? I do ;)

Comments