The Tick:Karma Tornado


Comic book and cartoon fans of the 90's might recognize the subject of this post: The Tick!! The Tick is a Nigh Invulnerable Blue Arachnid of Justice. He also has several incredibly cheesy lines that made the show funny. I watched the show over Christmas Break. Well, the first two seasons anyway, the third has never been released on DVD, which is too bad (It could be worse, like some shows that have never seen any DVD releases. One of my favorite shows from when I was a kid, Bonkers, is like that.). Anyway it's a funny show, created by Ben Edlund, with the Tick essentially spoofing other serious super heroes, and with other superheros spoofing still other superheros. The Tick is the most powerful of them, obviously, but is essentially clueless, while the other heroes are for the most part inanely incompetent.

Anyways, while I was at the library the other week perusing the graphic novel section as is my wont, I picked up one to look at it. I don't remember what it was, I put it back. I wouldn't mention it at all, except for it drew my attention to a slim blue book. That book was The Tick: Karma Tornado. It was an interesting book, taking place outside the 'normal' Tick continuity. First the Tick is chosen for some galactic competition, as team leader for Earth. Other representatives from Earth include Cleopatra, who attempts unsuccessfully to seduce the Tick, and T-Rex, who eats at least one other team member. After the competition is over, the rest of the issues in the book involve the Ticks adventures after his transport back to Earth is derailed in some way, leaving the Tick floating through space. The Tick assumes this is because the Earth has been destroyed of course, assuming that the competition was merely a trick to get him away from the Earth. Anyway, it was a very enjoyable comic, that frequently had me snorting in laughter, causing roommates to ask me what was funny. I haven't been back yet to check if the library has more of the Tick for me (Not like I really have time for that yet).

Comments