The Mysterious Quantum Thief


So, I should be reading this book by some dude by David Brin. You know, the final installment of some Second Foundation Trilogy. It’s totally not a big deal at all. (actually I probably should be doing my math methods homework, but whatever). Instead I’m blogging. Part of the reason is because I haven’t gotten into it yet is because I just read The Quantum Thief, which was just an amazing novel. I’ll try not to rhapsodize on it too much, but this is sci-fi stuff I’ve never read before. I’m not the biggest sci-fi connoisseur, so I’m guessing stuff like this actually has been done, but what’s-his-face who wrote it did a great job. Hannu Rajaniemi is his name.

I really don’t know how to explain what exactly he does in this novel. I won’t go into the plot bits, but what I found most interesting about this novel, aside from his excellent characters and their interactions, is what he’s done with time. Time travel is obviously a sci-fi element that’s older than time, and that’s not exactly what he’s doing. What he’s done is taken time and tried to do something else with it besides travel, and that’s make it into a currency that’s spendable. That’s the very best I can do to explain it but it’s more complicated than that, of course. Anyway, it’s great sci-fi, and I enjoyed it a lot more than the first two novels of the Second Foundation trilogy. I believe I mentioned before how entirely unnecessary this continuation beyond Asimov’s grave is, right?

The other reason I’m not reading? Perhaps it’s lack of focus due to sleep deprivation. Or maybe I’m just not choosing to share everything. Because, you know, I’m mysterious.

Comments